Guidelines and Requirements
As the national association of speaking professionals, including professional speakers, presenters, trainers, entertainers and MCs in New Zealand, PSANZ acknowledge members by way of national awards.
NB: Although deemed annual, individual awards may not be made in any given year at the judges’ discretion.
Eligibility Criteria Eligible candidates for this award will:
• Be an emerging speaking professional (speaking professionally for less than 3 years prior to the award entry deadline)
• Be a Member or Accredited Member of PSANZ. (Members who have attained Professional Member or CSP status are specifically excluded from this award category.)
• Have been a full financial member of the Association for a minimum of three calendar months prior to the award entry deadline.
• Demonstrate high levels of professional eloquence
• Have derived presentation-related income as a result of any combination of speaking, presenting, and training, entertaining or acting as a master of ceremonies (MC)
Entry Content & Format Include in your entry (in whatever order you choose): Clients / Presentations / Earnings summary
• A summary of presentations made within the 12 months prior to the awards entry deadline.
For each presentation indicate the client name (where appropriate), date, location, topic and duration of each presentation. Include both presentation related income and unpaid/pro-bono events where appropriate.
• A summary of TOTAL presentation-related income generated within the 12 months prior to the awards entry deadline. (NB: Presentation-related income excludes payments for travel and accommodation). A breakdown of income per event is NOT required.
• A phone number and email address for at least 5 clients included in your summary. Or, if you deliver public events rather than being engaged by a client include the phone number and email address for at least 1 event attendee from at least 5 events)
Provide a summary/overview of your professional speaking business or activities including reference to:
• Comments as to why you believe you should receive the award
Include 3 testimonials (written, audio or video) from clients that engaged you no earlier than 12 months prior to the awards entry deadline. If you deliver public events rather than being engaged by a client include 3 provided testimonials (written, audio or video) from at least 1 event attendee from at least 3 events.
Include the names and phone numbers of at least 2 other clients (i.e. not included as part of the 3 testimonials noted above) that engaged you no earlier than 12 months prior to the awards entry deadline who are willing to be contacted regarding your award entry. If you deliver public events rather than being engaged by a client include the names and phone numbers of at least 2 other event attendees (i.e. not included as part of the 2 referees noted above) that attended an event you delivered no earlier than 12 months prior to the awards entry deadline who are willing to be contacted regarding your award entry.
• Your service/contribution to PSANZ and/or the wider speaking industry/profession in the 12 months prior to the entry deadline
• Your service/contribution to PSANZ and/or the wider speaking industry/profession in previous years
• Your attendance at PSANZ or other professional development events in the 12 months prior to the awards entry deadline Level of Accreditation (if appropriate) State what level of accreditation you have (if any) and the year you attained it. Unedited video clip of you presenting within the past year Include a link to an unedited video clip of you presenting in front of a genuine audience (not an audience set up specifically to create the footage.) Footage should run from the beginning of the introduction of you as speaker through to you leaving the platform where possible.
Duration of presentation is prescribed, a presentation of between 20 and 60 minutes duration is encouraged. For longer presentations, for example footage taken from a 1-2 day training programme, submit 3 x 20 minutes segments of you presenting.
• Entries are self-nominated. No nominee or seconder is required.
• Candidates may enter multiple award categories where they meet required eligibility criteria.
• Entry Format – Candidates may format their entry in any way they wish so long as it includes the required information set out in each category and is in Electronic Format Only as entries will be accessed by the judges via Google Drive. NB: The overall quality/professionalism of the electronic entry will be taken into account as part of judging process.
• Every part of a candidate’s entry must be accessible electronically by the judges. Electronic attachments and/or hyperlinks to documents or other media in or on your own website, Dropbox, Google Drive, YouTube etc. should be used. Candidates should ensure all attachments, hyperlinks or other supporting material work effectively as these will not be checked by the Awards Convenor prior to forwarding the entry to the judges.
• Entries submitted in hard-copy or on CD or DVD shall be deemed invalid and will not be forwarded to judges.
• Specific monetary fees paid by a client for the speaker’s services.
• Fees earned as a result of public events/sessions delivered by the speaking professional.
• Revenue earned from sales of the speaking professional’s own or others’ products, including workbooks, handouts and other material or services, as a direct result of the presentation in addition to a monetary fee.
• Revenue earned from sales of the speaker’s own or others’ products or services at the event from payment or orders taken on the day.
• Revenue generated as a result of sales by way of websites, book-stores or any other channel, outlet or media other than a direct presentation are NOT considered ‘presentation related income’ and are specifically excluded.
• Payment or reimbursement of travel expense, accommodation expenses, or any other form of remuneration or compensation other than by the ways outlined in ‘presentation-related income’ above are ineligible in terms of meeting the criteria for revenue earnings/payment of fee(s).
There are two dates that you should be aware of:
1. Date of Notification of Application for an Award
2. Date of Submission of your Application for an Award
Before you submit your application for the PSANZ Bright Star Emerging Speaker of the Year 2020 Award, we need you to notify the Awards Convenor that you are wanting to apply. This will allow the Awards Convenor to set up the necessary Google Drive folders and other documentation necessary for your application, without putting undue pressure on the team.
Please note the following deadlines:
Deadline Date for Notification of Applications: Friday 17th January 2020
Deadline Time: 4.00 pm NZST
Send entry via email to: [email protected]
Notifications received after 4.00 pm on the day of the deadline shall be deemed invalid and will not be forwarded to judges.
Notification of entry/entries must be received in electronic format by the PSANZ in the allocated Google Drive folder for the Award no later than the time specified below on the day of the deadline.
Once the submission has been uploaded to Google Drive please notify the administrator.
The administrator shall acknowledge, via email, receipt of the entry/entries.
Deadline Date for Notification of Applications: Friday 24th January 2020 Deadline Time: 4.00 pm NZST
Send entry via email to: [email protected]
• Entries received after 4.00 pm on the day of the deadline shall be deemed invalid and will not be forwarded to judges.
• Any pre-submission queries should be directed to the PSANZ Administrator via email prior, not less than 24 hours prior to the award entry deadline. Queries received less than 24 hours prior to the award entry deadline may not be answered.
• No correspondence with entrants will be entered into after the deadline for entries has passed.